Bank Hall Locomotive Depot in 1948: two ex-Lancashire & Yorkshire engines outside the smaller through Shed: ex-L&Y 1F 0-6-0T No. 11535, fitted with dumb buffers and swinging spark-arrestor for working in the Docks; behind it is Class 30 6F 0-8-0 No. 12782. (Beyond can be glimpsed an 8F 2-8-0 with the unusual combination of 'M' as well as the BR initial '4' added to its number). Photo: 20 June 1848 by Ben Brooksbank, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Recording Locomotive Sightings 1943 - 1968
A generation of enthusiasts recorded the movements of locomotives around the railway system. These records of visits to locomotive depots have been collected and carefully analysed to provide an overall portrait for the period 1943 to 1968. During that period of steam's final years, there was a marked change from the pre-grouping types that still found work at a few depots, to the modern BR designs that worked until the end in 1968. The handling of freight and passenger services was a major undertaking from town and cities, ports, coal mines and factories. All of it traversed the labyrinth of lines that criss-crossed the country. There were numerous 'sheds' spread throughout the length and breadth of the land that provided and serviced the vast army of steam locomotives (20,000 in 1948). Here is just a taste of that history.

Sunday, 28 April 2013

South West Scotland subsheds

This dilapidated and deserted station was the terminus of the former Glasgow, Barrhead & Kilmarnock (Caledonian & Glasgow & South Western) branch from Lugton, closed a year later (5/11/62) to passengers, to goods on 5/10/64.  The photo by Ben Brooksbank was taken in September 1961. Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0 
Pre Grouping Ownership - Glasgow and South West Railway
Shed built by the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Railway on the branch from Lugton Junction.
type:A stone built 1TS dead ended shed.A Hurlford subshed
location:West of the line at the south end of Beith Town Station.opened:1873closed:1962
Sat 26 Mar 1949Sat 26 Aug 1950Sat 8 May 1954Wed 25 Aug 1954Sun 25 May 1958
cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)
shed codes30B Hurlford67B Hurlford (from April 1949)
Pre Grouping Ownership - Glasgow and South West Railway and Caledonian Railway
type:Orginally a 4TS dead ended shed, rebuilt in later years as a 2TS building.A Hurlford subshed
location:South of the line, west of Muirkirk Station.opened:1879closed:1964
Sun 7 July 1946Mon 21 June 1948Sat 26 Mar 1949Fri 25 Aug 1950Sat 15 Sep 1951Sun 31 May 1953
cl 3P 4-4-0 (M)cl 2P 4-4-0cl 3P 4-4-0 (M)cl 3P 4-4-0 (M)cl 2P 4-4-0cl 3P 4-4-0 (Pick)
cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)cl 3P 4-4-0 (Pick)cl 3P 4-4-0 (Pick)cl 3P 4-4-0 (Pick)cl 4P 4-4-0cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)
cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 3P 4-4-0 (M)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)
1727830B1520330B1523630B5733167B5445667B S5723667B
cl 3F 0-6-0 (M)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 3F 0-6-0 (M)cl 3P 4-4-0 (Pick)5733167B
cl 3F 0-6-0 (Pick)cl 3F 0-6-0 (M)1738330Bcl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)
1767330A1758430Bcl 3F 0-6-0 (M)5723667B
Sat 14 Aug 1954Sat 16 July 1955Sat 23 June 1956Sat 6 July 1957Sun 31 July 1960Fri 20 Apr 1962
cl 3P 4-4-0 (Pick)cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)cl 3P 2-6-2T (St)cl 4F 0-6-0 (F)
cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)cl 2P 0-4-4T (M)4068867Bcl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)BR cl 3MT 2-6-0
5526467B5526467Bcl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)5723667B5738566E7701767B
cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)5723667B5733167Bcl 3F 0-6-0 (M)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)
5733167B5723667B5733167Bcl 3F 0-6-0 (M)5763767B5738367B
5735367Bcl 3F 0-6-0 (M)5735367B5757367Bcl 3F 0-6-0 (M)
cl 3F 0-6-0 (M)5757367B5763767B5761366E
Fri 11 May 1962Sun 10 June 1962Wed 20 June 1962Sun 14 Apr 1963Sun 30 June 1963
cl 4F 0-6-0 (F)cl 4F 0-6-0 (F)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 4MT 2-6-0cl 4F 0-6-0 (F)
4428167B4419867B5738367B4313467B4415967B W
cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 4F 0-6-0 (F)4428367B
BR cl 3MT 2-6-04415967B Wcl 3F 0-6-0 (M)
shed codes30B & 67B Hurlford66E Carstairs30A & 67A Corkerhill67D Ardrossan
Newton Stewart
Built by the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire RailwayA Stranraer subshed
The first shed was a timber one track straight dead-ended shed which destroyed by fire in 1919
type:The rebuilt shed was a 2TS dead ended shed, but only one track was in use during BR days.
location:In the fork of the Whithorn and Stranraer lines, west of the station.
Photographs -
Thu 2 Jan 1947Sat 12 Apr 1947Thu 26 June 1947Mon 25 Oct 1948Fri 19 Aug 1949Sat 16 Sep 1950
cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2P 4-4-0
1736212Gcl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)1739112Gcl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)
Fri 9 May 1952Sun 31 May 1953Sat 4 July 1953Sat 3 July 1954Fri 30 Aug 1957Sat 24 May 1958
cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2P 4-4-0cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)
cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)4061668Ccl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)cl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)5737568C5737568C
5736268Bcl 2F 0-6-0 (Dr)5737568C5734068C
shed codes12G & 68B Dumfries12H & 68C Stranraer68A Carlisle Kingmoor

No comments:

Post a Comment